About the Annual Conference
GLMA’s Annual Conference is the premier, interdisciplinary LGBTQ health conference and the world’s largest scientific gathering devoted to LGBTQ health issues and concerns.
GLMA’s Annual Conference educates practitioners, policy advocates, educators, administrators, researchers and students—from across the health professions—about the unique health needs of LGBTQ individuals and families. The conference is a forum for discussion and exploration of how best to address these needs as well as the needs of LGBTQ health professionals and health profession students. GLMA’s Annual Conference also reports on research into the health needs of LGBTQ people.
This year's conference theme, LGBTQ Health Across the Lifespan, highlights the importance of understanding the ever-changing healthcare needs of LGBTQ people throughout their lives, from birth to end-of-life care. The GLMA Annual Conference on LGBTQ Health will focus on comprehensive and team-based approaches to healthcare and research that optimize the mental and physical wellbeing of LGBTQ people from all age cohorts, while taking into consideration the intersection of sexual orientation, gender identity, and age with other identities. Abstracts and proposals addressing this theme will be prioritized.
GLMA’s Annual Conference draws over 400 participants from various health professions including physicians, physician assistants, nurses, nurse practitioners, mental and behavioral health specialists and social workers, dentists, pharmacists, researchers, educators, health policy specialists, advocates, administrators, public health practitioners, health profession students and others interested in improving health for LGBTQ individuals.
General topics presented at GLMA’s Annual Conference include:
- Academic health (medicine, nursing, etc)
- Behavioral health
- Bisexual health
- Cultural competence
- Differences of sex development
- Emerging LGBTQ health concerns
- Families, fertility and relationships
- Gay/MSM health
- Health across the lifespan (e.g., youth, aging)
- Health policy and advocacy
- Health professions education
- HIV/AIDS, infectious disease and STI prevention, testing and treatment
- Lesbian/WSW health
- Mental health
- Original, scientific research
- Primary care
- Public health
- Resilience factors in LGBTQ communities
- Reproductive health
- Sexual health
- Substance abuse treatment/prevention
- Transgender health
At the conclusion of the GLMA Annual Conference of LGBTQ Health, participants will be able to:
- Identify resources and avenues for healthcare access for the LGBTQ population;
- Describe research and advances in healthcare delivery specific to the LGBTQ patient population; and
- Incorporate strategies for advocating for LGBTQ healthcare into their practice.
Professional Competencies Addressed:
1. Healthcare Knowledge
2. Interpersonal and Communication Skills
3. Patient Care
5. Practice-based Learning and Improvement
6. System-based Practice
2019 GLMA Nursing Summit
The 2019 GLMA Nursing Summit is planned to take place all day on September 11, 2019.
The goal of the GLMA Nursing Summit is to bring together LGBTQ and ally nurses and nurse supporters to further the GLMA Nursing Section Action Plan to improve critical LGBTQ issues in the nursing profession. The summit will provide a forum for mentorship, support, and networking for attendees in the areas of research, leadership, education and training, policy, climate, and patient care.
Hilton New Orleans Riverside
The 37th GLMA Annual Conference will be held at the Hilton New Orleans Riverside, located in the heart of New Orleans!
Stay tuned for more information regarding hotel accommodations and reservations! GLMA will be arranging a special rate with the hotel for conference participants. We hope to see you there!